West Catholic Prep
Did You Know...
- West is the only Archdiocesan High School to be recognized as a “Blue-Ribbon School of Excellence” by the US Department of Education
- $12 million in college scholarships and grants were awarded to the class of 2014
- West offers Visual, Musical, Performing, and Culinary Arts programs
- Honors, Advanced Placement, and Remedial programs of study are available
- 98% of graduates pursue higher education
Colors: Blue, White & Gold
Mascot: The Burrs
By The Numbers
West's mascot, Burr-Man, was voted "Best Mascot" in 2009.
West Catholic School for Girls was located near the Philadelphia television studios where American Bandstand was first broadcast in the 1950s, and many girls from West regularly attended the show. The girls were forbidden to wear their school uniforms on TV, and wore cardigans over their uniforms, with their blouses' rounded collars showing. "Peter Pan collars" became popular as a result.
In the 1970's a rumored ghost would break into one student's locker every day for a year and take a bite out of her sandwich.